The Signal

Serving the College since 1885

Friday December 9th

Hailey Ruane


The museum began as a nonprofit organization and almost entirely depended on museum admission fees to keep it afloat. Now with the steady decrease of visitors due to the pandemic, the museum is on track to its doors permanently(Image created by Lauren Schweighardt/Graphic Designer).
News

9/11 Tribute Museum to close down after decrease in visitors

 The 9/11 Tribute Museum was one of many places that had to shut its doors due to the onset of the pandemic. Over the course of the six months that it was closed, millions of dollars of debt accumulated — with no visitors to help steady the rapidly increasing costs of keeping the museum running. Opening in 2006, the 9/11 Tribute Museum located in lower Manhattan on Greenwich Street in NYC has made a huge impact on citizens’ lives. Both the general public as well as survivors of the attacks in 2001 have made many visits to the museum, considering it is right down the street from the Ground Zero memorial.

Read More »
Although approximately 97% of soldiers in the Army are vaccinated, the majority of the remaining 3% are mixed with soldiers attempting to be exempt from the vaccine due to religious or medical reasons(Flickr/“Virginia National Guard” by The National Guard, Dec. 31, 2020).
News

US Army, other branches discharge unvaccinated soldiers

Starting on Feb. 2, soldiers in the Army who are not vaccinated and who do not plan on getting vaccinated began to be discharged. Prior to the Army making this decision, the Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps had already gone through the process of discharging unvaccinated members. The Army is the last of these groups to have discharged members over their vaccination statuses, with Politico stating that the number of unvaccinated soldiers reaches over 3,300. 

Read More »
Stephen G. Breyer, one of the nine Supreme Court Justices, announced his retirement after his term of almost 27 years (Flickr/”Justice Stephen G Breyer” by Cknight70, April 25, 2013).
News

Justice Breyer announces retirement from Supreme Court

Stephen G. Breyer, one of the nine Supreme Court Justices, announced his retirement after his term of almost 27 years on Jan. 26,  According to Oyez, a website dedicated to archiving the Supreme Court, his career as a Supreme Court Justice began in 1994 when President Bill Clinton had appointed him for the second time after he lost the year prior to then Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.  

Read More »
For more than two decades, R. Kelly has been faced with numerous allegations of child pornography, having sexual relations with minors, and other various sexual assault cases(Flickr).
News

R. Kelly found guilty of sex traficking, racketeering

For more than two decades, R. Kelly has been faced with numerous allegations of child pornography, having sexual relations with minors, and other various sexual assault cases. In the past, he has escaped plenty of these charges by having charges dropped, and according to The New York Times, Kelly was acquitted during his trial where 11 victims spoke out about their experiences.  

Read More »
On Sept. 8, a letter was created by faculty at Stanford University in hopes of stopping the China Initiative permanently (Flickr).
News

Professors at Stanford speak out against racial profiling

On Sept. 8, a letter was created by faculty at Stanford University in hopes of stopping the China Initiative permanently. According to Reuters, this letter states “(I)t is harming the United States’ research and technology competitiveness and it is fueling biases that, in turn, raise concerns about racial profiling.” 

Read More »

More articles »

This Week's Issue

Issuu Preview