The Signal

Serving the College since 1885

Monday December 6th

Speaker discusses diabetes

Heads up! This article was imported from a previous version of The Signal. If you notice any issues, please let us know.

By Amani Salahudeen
Staff Writer

Gamble addresses audience members about leading a healthy lifestyle (Miguel Gonzalez / Photo Editor).

The College’s School of Science hosted Dr. Cory Gamble on Feb. 19 in the Education building Room 212 at noon to speak about treating diabetes as a cardiovascular disease.

Gamble, an endocrinologist at Novo Nordisk, a pharmaceutical company, earned his master’s degree in osteopathic medicine from Oklahoma State University.

Gamble, the company’s representative for the lecture, discussed the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes.

“(Type 2 diabetes) is a (cardiovascular) disease,” Gamble said. “About 95 percent (of adults) diagnosed are Type 2, whereas the other 5 percent are Type 1.”

According to Gamble, diabetes is linked to a higher incidence of coronary artery disease. Coronary artery disease is a heart disease that slows down the flow of the heart muscle.

Gamble talked about the importance of checking cholesterol levels. He described a multifactorial treatment approach for those with Type 2 diabetes, which includes exercise, diet and control of blood sugar and cholesterol.

Gamble also talked about living a healthy lifestyle and maintaining healthy habits as part of necessary prevention.

“For example, if you’re obese, then you want to make sure you’re on the proper diet and you’re exercising regularly,” Gamble said. “If you’re smoking an excessive amount, quit smoking. It’s simple things like that that can really make a difference and lower the chance of you getting diabetes.”

Gamble also addressed how to lower the risks of getting diabetes and how to manage the disease.

“Make sure you’re taking care of yourself and checking your insulin regularly,” Gamble said. “It’s important to see a doctor if things are getting out of hand and make sure you follow a diet if you’re on one since that will help keep (diabetes) under control.”


This Week's Issue

Issuu Preview